Thursday 24 December 2009

Saying goodbye...

One of the tougher aspects to serving with Mercy Ships is having to say goodbye. In an atmosphere where you live and work in the same space as 350 other people, close friendships form very fast. However, being a ministry that relies largely on short-term volunteers, there is also a high staff-turnover of crew. Therefore, the farewells can often be frequent and painful.

This past Tuesday (22nd December) was a tough day. I had to say farewell to five really close friends who all left for home. As is now one of my traditions, I drove several of them to the South Airport to say goodbye. I am honoured and privileged to call such wonderful people friends. You guys have a special place in my heart and will be missed!

It's true that saying goodbye is painful, but that's what happens when you love deeply and give completely of yourself in a friendship. And I'm not going to stop.
Above (from top to bottom) are photos of me with Meg, Jess and Paul.

"Naked I came from my mother's womb,
and naked I will depart.
The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away;
may the name of the LORD be praised."
(Job 1: 21 NIV)

No comments: