When I first found out that South Africa were going to face New Zealand in a rugby match over in Baltimore, Maryland, I didn't think too much about it. World Rugby is expanding the scope of rugby by tapping into new markets, and the United States is certainly a country with huge potential for growth - as well as being the host of the Rugby World Cup in 2031. And so, the fourth and final test in
the "Rugby's Greatest Rivalry" series between the Springboks and All Blacks was scheduled for Baltimore on Saturday, 12th September 2026.
At the beginning of August, I made up my mind that this was too good an opportunity to miss. I hadn't seen the Springboks in action since a World Cup warmup game against Namibia at Newlands, Cape Town, way back in 2007. Since moving to the United States in 2014, I have found myself following South African sport from afar, remaining deeply patriotic and proud of my heritage and culture. I would have regretted not going to this once-in-a-lifetime event!
Having arranged good friends to watch our children and our dog for the night we were away (this was our first night away together withou
t children in almost a decade), Candace and I flew out of Detroit bound for Baltimore early in the morning on Saturday, 12th September. The picture here is the view from Federal Hill above Baltimore's Inner Harbor.
There were other South Africans proudly wearing Springbok attire on our Southwest flight that morning, and that was a theme that was magnified during our time exploring Baltimore before the game. There were South African supporters everywhere! We heard Afrikaans spoken on numerous occasions, as well as South African 'boeremusiek' (literally translated as 'farmer's music') blasted from speakers. Candace even said to me, "You know, Murray, usually you're the only one in a green Springbok jersey so I can spot you easily. Now I'm seeing 'you' everywhere."
We had planned to walk most places, but Candace broke her toe just a few days before our trip, and so we relied on the Light Rail train system and the Rideshare platform, Lyft, during our day in Baltimore. We ate a delicious seafood meal at The Rusty Scupper restaurant before exploring the Inner Harbor (pictured here), seeing the USS
Constellation and other historic vessels in the port. But soon it was time to head to the M&T Bank Stadium for the big game!
The stadium officials were really kind when we arrived on foot with crutches. They sent us straight to Customer Service, where we were upgraded to ADA seating. Candace was worried about all the stairs we'd need to climb to reach our seats, along with fans moving around who could possibly step on her toe, and so this was a huge blessing. We were so thankful!
The stadium was packed with 68,173 fans, the vast majority of whom were supporting the Springboks. It was so special to be a part of the largest crowd to ever watch a rugby game on American shores! Listening to the music and national anthems brought tears to my eyes, and seeing the iconic Haka performed live was amazing. The game itself was a fantastic ambassador for the sport of rugby, played in a good spirit with lots of fast running rugby. The final score? 43-28 to the Springboks!
Candace and I left Baltimore the next morning, with a glow of happiness after such a special atmosphere. We arrived back in Detroit so happy to have experienced this event in person. Thinking back on it, it feels almost surreal. Did that really happen on US soil? Well, I have the photos and videos to prove it, and so it must have. I'm so glad that it did! :)
Here are some more photos from our amazing day, and the game itself!
USS Constellation, originally built in 1854 for the US Navy and now a museum ship.
USCG Lightship Chesapeake and WWII submarine USS Torsk.
The Rusty Scupper is in a prime location and serves excellent food.
M&T Bank Stadium, home of the Baltimore Ravens in NFL.
Candace and I on the big screen, at top right.
Springboks Captain Siya Kolisi leads out the Springboks.
Goosebumps and tears as South Africa's National Anthem, Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika, is sung loudly around Baltimore.
Watching the Haka live was so powerful.
South Africa's scrumhalf darts over for South Africa's second try.
I'm so in love with this beautiful lady.
Another try to the Springboks!
The closing moments of the game.
This is what it's all about. A tough game, and then prayer and fellowship together. Love it!
Our transportation back to Detroit. A Southwest Boeing 737 MAX 8.
Lake Erie as we descend over Monroe County, Michigan.
Detroit Metro Airport (DTW) appears in view between the wing's flap track fairings.
As I've
blogged before, our neighbourhood is located under one of the flight paths for DTW. Our house is even visible here on the second road from the bottom!
No comments:
Post a Comment