Friday 3 November 2023

Losing Rusty...

After nine years with Rusty in our household, we had to say goodbye to him after a short but devastating illness. Our sweet canine family member became ill on Thursday, September 21st. He refused to eat his food and he even turned up his nose at his favourite dog biscuits. He also developed a nasty cough and seemed to be struggling to breathe, and would stand still, staring off into space – often with his legs collapsing from under him. I knew that something was seriously wrong.

Since moving to Michigan, I hadn’t set up a vet for him yet, but I found a nearby animal hospital. Eliza and I took him and they did an x-ray, which showed massive inflammation and possible tumours throughout his chest. He had limited lung capacity and was slowly suffocating. Upon hearing this news, I started weeping and Eliza was so sweet, putting her arm around me and comforting me, telling me, “Daddy, we can still smile even when we’re sad.” 

Throughout the next few days he rebounded a bit and was eating again, and he seemed happy. But it was just the medicine that the vet had given us. His cough returned on Friday, September 29th, and he rapidly declined that weekend. I spent all of Sunday (October 1st) at home with my sweet boy. Eliza was especially concerned for him. He was breathing noisily and wandering around aimlessly that night, and she got down and lay with him on the carpet. I walked in on them a few minutes later and she was reading a book to Rusty (pictured here). She has such a huge heart! I also spent that night down in the living room next to Rusty in his basket. Thankfully, he passed a peaceful night.

On Monday, October 2nd, we called the animal hospital and made the heartbreaking decision to put Rusty down. It would be too selfish of me to prolong his suffering just because I couldn’t let him go. Candace (and Anya) stayed with me in the room as we said farewell to our beloved canine family member. We were all in tears as he took his final breath on this earth.

Rusty really was the best dog for me, from that very first day back in 2014. He had been with me through all of my American adventures, challenges, mental health issues – and for most of our marriage. For nine years, we matched each other perfectly with our anxious tendencies. He loved us well by constantly pawing for attention, licking my ears, and being so very patient with our children. It's been a month now and I still miss him so much.

Rusty and I on our very first day together in 2014.
Pregnancy announcement.
Sitting with Riaan.
He was always so patient with our children.
Typical Rusty pose in his basket. "Scratch my belly!"
Rusty and I on our final day together in 2023.

Candace and her mom made the most beautiful memory cushion out of his blanket.
His pawprint that I collected from the vet a week or so after we put him down.
A beautiful watercolour painting of Rusty that good friends here gave us. It was so thoughtful of them!

No comments: