Monday 2 March 2009

Career Interrupted...

I watched a great message last night by Louie Giglio, one of my favourite speakers. It was called Career Interrupted and dealt with how serving and glorifying God is very much a part of your employment and career. You cannot compartmentalise God. And how when your plans change, see it as a way God is leading your life in another exciting direction. A man may plan, but God is ultimately in control. "In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps" (Proverbs 16: 9 NIV).

Giglio concluded his message with four key points that really hit home to me, especially as I prepare to return to Mercy Ships (and also in this interim job that I have now). They are worth repeating.

1) Choose a path and pursue it.

2) Be the very best at whatever you do. Have a good attitude, be dependable, loyal, and a hard worker. "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men" (Colossians 3: 23 NIV).

3) Remember the plan is you. The process of building character is much more important than the job itself. Your usefulness is in the Kingdom, not in career achievement. "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose" (Romans 8: 28 NIV)

4) Look for His plan and His leading and trust in Him. Nothing can stop Him from fulfilling His plan for your life.

This also ties in with the previous post and "fixing" my eyes on Jesus. I was also chatting on Facebook to a good friend who was on the ship and I was telling him about my life and plans and he told me to pray about my future and follow where God leads. And that, really, is the crux of the message.

No comments: