Monday 23 February 2009

Be Thou My Vision...

The other day a coworker asked me, when I was telling her about Mercy Ships and my future plans, "Well, don't you want a career?" I was stunned. But I guess I have just done something which makes absolutely no sense to many people. When I think about a career in the business world I shudder. It is not where my heart is. I don't want to be caught up in materialism (Riches I heed not). I'm not saying all the corporate world is like this - certainly not! There are some wonderful Godly people who work in this sector. It is just not for me.

And so we come back to the question, "don't you want a career?" I want my career to be serving God. To follow where He leads. To obey and trust Him at all times and in all things. I want Him to be my vision. And thus I place here the lyrics of this one of my favourite hymns. I have been challenged a lot recently to make God my vision. My prayer is that you would make Him your vision too:

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.

No comments: