Sunday 25 September 2011

Cape Sierra Leone...

This past Friday I went and visited Brussels Airlines in Aberdeen on purser business. On my drive home I decided to visit the Cape Sierra Leone Lighthouse - one of West Africa's oldest lighthouses, having originally been built in 1812. Having grown up in an area of the world known alternatively as the Cape of Storms and the Cape of Good Hope, it is perhaps not surprising that I've always had a deep fascination with the hazards of the sea and the lighthouses that watch these treacherous waters.

Cape Sierra Leone Lighthouse is an impressive structure that guards the entry of Sierra Leone's natural harbour, on the northern tip of Freetown's peninsula. I was told by my guide that the light is currently functional and that there are a couple of lighthouse keepers on duty. But I have also read that the lighthouse doesn't have glass in the lens of the light, and that the only warning to mariners is a static red light that shines out to sea from the top of the tower. When I'm next over at Aberdeen at night I'll drive down and see which story is true.

The road to the lighthouse.

Looking from the lighthouse in the direction of Hotel Barmoi.

View towards Lungi.

Man Of War Bay, Aberdeen.

Close-up of the top of the tower.

No comments: