Tuesday 30 April 2013

More than enough...

I was trying to think about a title for this post. It could be "Skewed Expectations", but that wouldn't be quite right. It is in essence a blog post about the fragmented, challenging life that Candace and I lead. But I hope by the time you've finished reading you will see that there is very much a bright hope for the future.

Candace and I are back at Zithulele. We were told before we came that our own place was almost ready and that we'd have to stay in student accommodation or a bed and breakfast before we could move in. That was almost two weeks ago. Since then we've moved from the bed and breakfast in Coffee Bay (Geckos Guest House is an amazing place to visit and we highly recommend it!) back to Zithulele, where we've been blessed by being able to house-sit for a couple of families. Our new home was quite badly damaged by some severe rain that hit the Eastern Cape a little over a week ago - hence the repairs and subsequent delay that has resulted in our home not being ready. God came through in a big way providing house-sitting opportunities at just the right time.

It has been a frustrating time as we live out of our suitcases, not really having a home of our own. It was a battle not knowing where we'd be staying a few days down the line. Our new place is a lot smaller than we initially expected - which will be a challenge, too. Candace and I both welcome structure and routine - we thrive on it! Here we have battled to find any of it. It is difficult to be taken out of your comfort zone and thrown into the deep end. Sometimes it feels like that here. I guess all we can really do is trust that God is in control and knows what He is doing.

And yet, through it all, God has an amazing way of coming through. He must have a deep sense of humour. After writing my thoughts down, I read a few verses in John 14 that instantly struck me. Candace and I have been concerned about the size of our accommodation. We're staying in a room about half the size of a couple's cabin on the Africa Mercy. But God tells us:

 Don't let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. There is more than enough room in my Father's home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you?
(John 14: 1 - 2)

It doesn't matter how small our physical home here on earth may be, because this is only our temporary home. After all, THERE IS MORE THAN ENOUGH ROOM IN MY FATHER'S HOME. Jesus' home is our home. In fact, He should live in our hearts, and our eyes should be focused on things above and less on the things of this world.

I'm not saying that it'll get any easier, but I am thankful that in moments of trial, we have a God who does care - even through his sense of humour revealing awesome truths. Thank you Lord!

No comments: