Wednesday 29 March 2017

Cape Town LifeCycle Expo...

Twelve hours after landing in Cape Town we joined my parents in visiting the Cape Town Cycle Tour Expo, one of the largest health and fitness exhibitions in South Africa. (Thursday, 9th March.) It is also where cyclists entered for the 109-km (or 68-mile) Cape Town Cycle Tour collect their race packs at the registration. 

We had planned our trip to coincide with the Cycle Tour on Sunday, 12th March, and so we were both entered for this iconic event. It would be my 25th tour and Candace's second tour. Candace last cycled the Argus, as it was known then, in 2013 and my last time was in 2014. Little did we know then that things would take an unexpected turn on race day itself. More on that in a future post. :)

We enjoyed browsing at the various stalls, collecting freebies and free snacks, and soaking up the energetic atmosphere of Cape Town again. It was a lovely first morning in Cape Town!

 Driving into Cape Town's CBD.
 Table Mountain with its famous table cloth on top.
 Cycle Tour banners on the poles heading into town.
 Driving past the Cape Town Civic Centre.
 Nelson Mandela's image is displayed on the front of the building. Desmond Tutu has also now been added to the left of Mandela.
 Cape Town Stadium, where the LifeCycle Expo was held.
 Beautiful stadium inside. It played host to one of the 2010 World Cup semi-finals.
 Walking to the entrance of the Expo.
 City of Cape Town branding.
 Club 21 is an elite club for those who have cycled 21 or more Cycle Tours
 I joined Club 21 by cycling my 21st Tour in 2011, aged 27 years old. I started cycling when I was really young. :) Here I am having signed next to my name.
 My parents are also Club 21 members - as is my brother. My parents signed their names too.
 Candace and Riaan in front to the Children's Hospital Trust stand. Candace was entered to cycle to raise funds and create awareness for the Red Cross Children's Hospital in Cape Town.
 Leaving the Expo and walking back to the car.
Lots of bicycle awareness posters in this cycling-mad city. :) I love it!

No comments: