Friday 16 July 2021

4th of July Activities...

The 4th of July occurred on a Sunday this year, and so I started the day with an early morning cycle. I was out before the sun was even up and cycled a 40 km (24 mile) loop around Washington. I saw a family of inquisitive deer run into a field and then stop and stare at this spandex-clad cyclist. I was also almost knocked off my bike by a suicidal rabbit running right in front of me as I rounded a bend. Thankfully I missed him, but it could have been a nasty fall!

Once home again I started the fire and we had a lovely braai for lunch. We had lamb ribs and pork belly strips, as well as toasted cheese and onion sarmies, which are always a family favourite! Candace made a green salad and we enjoyed a delicious meal together - yum!

After a little rest, we drove down to Jasper Parklands - a large, outdoor wild area with lakes, forests, play areas (a splash pad and tree fort) and hiking trails - and here we met up with some of Candace's family for an outdoor picnic. The kiddos loved running through the fountains and jets of water in the splash pad!

We were back home in time to watch the fireworks from outside our front door. It was a lovely 4th of July! :)

Early morning selfie.
Trees silhouetted against the rising sun.
Family of deer in the field ahead of me.
A closer view. :)
Family photo while we wait for our food to cook.
Toasted sarmies. Yum!
Fiddle-back spider - AKA the brown recluse - in our wood pile. They are venomous, but I left this individual alone.
 Sign and park map at Jasper Parklands.
 Bridge crossing over a little man-made waterfall separating two lakes.
Curious turtles inspect us humans on the dock above them.
The splash pad.

No comments: