Thursday 8 October 2009

Starfish...

We had our departmental devotions yesterday and we watched a really good Nooma DVD by Rob Bell, Shells. In it he basically said that so often we can be so busy doing good deeds that we miss out on God's best for us.

Rob Bell used the example of how his family were at the beach one day, collecting shell fragments. While he was picking up bits of broken shells with his sons, a giant starfish floated by in the waves near the shore. Rob encouraged his son to go out and fetch the starfish. The boy would run out into the water, only to return empty-handed. This happened a number of times until Rob asked him why he wouldn't fetch the starfish. The son replied that it was because he would lose the shells in his hands if he picked it up.

So often we're so busy collecting broken shells that we miss our starfish. We don't want to let go of our commitments for fear of disappointing someone. We miss something amazing that God has in store because we're too caught up in the busyness of it all.

Often I've been really busy doing things that perhaps I've missed out on something so much better. This is especially applicable in community life - there's so much on the go that so often one can lose touch with God. Quiet times tend to go down the drain. It's all about finding a balance and prioritising time with God and time alone, away from the crowd.

My prayer today is that I may discover God's best for me. May I find and take my starfish. And may I never let it go.

No comments: