Sunday 26 December 2010

Christmas Surprise!

If the ship was in South Africa at Christmas, it was always my intention to fly home. And so, in early August, I purchased my flights for spending Christmas and the New Year with my family in Cape Town. It is, after all, only a short two-hour flight down from Durban. Initially, I kept it a secret from my whole family, but then decided to let some of them know directly. And so it was that one of my sisters picked me up from Cape Town International this past Thursday.

We drove home and I surprised my mom when I suddenly appeared walking along the path with flowers in my hand! She had no idea and was really happy to see me - especially since I'd been telling her that I was "too busy to come home for Christmas." I even sent my parents a Christmas card several weeks back wishing them a merry Christmas and also saying how sad I was that I couldn't join them for Christmas this year! Photo here of the approach to Cape Town International - Table Mountain and the city of Cape Town welcome the traveller.

So I spent a great Christmas relaxing with my family at home here in Cape Town. We had our traditional Christmas eve dinner which was absolutely lovely, and on Christmas day opened our presents after church - everybody at my church were equally surprised to see me in town!

So the next few days I am just relaxing and enjoying a break before heading back to the ship on January 3rd. There's a lot of work waiting for me there, but I'm trying not to think about it all now! I trust you had a wonderful Christmas! God bless!

My nephews, Jesse and Rhyenn, wait for Christmas eve dinner.

Christmas eve dinner.

Great food and even better company!

Jesse and Rhyenn await their presents on Christmas day.

One of the things I miss the most when on the ship is animal interaction. Here's Flicka!

No comments: