Wednesday 20 June 2018

Lesser Yellowlegs...

The other day I was looking out of our upstairs window and noticed some commotion in the pond below. I grabbed my camera and snapped a few photos of a little killdeer, a type of plover very common here, taking a bath. It's at right in the photo here. And then I noticed a pair of lesser yellowlegs just to the left, also enjoying the cold water on a hot spring day. Lesser yellowlegs are small wading birds that live close to ponds and other bodies of water. I had actually seen the lesser yellowlegs before, foraging along the water's edge. It made for some great nature photography!

 The pretty killdeer at the water's edge.
The lesser yellowlegs taking a bath.
Very pretty shorebirds.
One of the lesser yellowlegs seen a week prior to the above photos.

No comments: