Friday 27 August 2010

The Fairest Cape in all the World...

It was Sir Francis Drake in 1580 who called it "The Fairest Cape in all the World", and early this morning the Africa Mercy passed the Cape of Good Hope and Cape Point (photo at left), of which Drake was referring to, at a distance of some ten nautical miles. And for me, passing my hometown of Cape Town was a rather emotional experience. With tears in my eyes, I could make out the cliffs and mountains of the Western Cape. Places that I know like the back of my hand. It's a strange feeling to be sailing home on my floating home. And from many miles out sailing along a calm sea, Sir Francis Drake was spot on, because through my eyes, this land is certainly the "Fairest Cape in all the World."

Land Ho! The coast of South Africa comes into view!

The view looking towards Cape Point and Cape Hangklip - the two capes that are on either side of False Bay.

Cape Hangklip visible here.

Composite shot of the coastline of the Western Cape.

No comments: