Monday 23 December 2013

Kirstenbosch Carols...

Kirstenbosch Carols is an annual Christmas tradition in Cape Town, and sees anything from 3,000 to 7,000 people pack onto the beautiful lawns to enjoy the Nativity concert and carols. People arrive early to picnic and enjoy good music before the carol service gets underway after sunset.

I had the opportunity to play Joseph in the Kirstenbosch Carol service last weekend. (December 14th.) My sister helps out with the concert every year, and this year they needed some additional help. The individual playing Joseph dropped out at short notice, and so I took on the role of being Joseph for one of the evenings - alongside my sister who was playing Mary! I was very nervous initially, but as soon as I stepped out onto the stage my nerves disappeared quite quickly. It helped not having to speak - since the whole Nativity concert is narrated by one speaker.

I actually vastly enjoyed the evening and it was amazing seeing thousands of glow-sticks being waved back and forth as we all sung "Silent Night" together. After the service, children are allowed up on stage to have photos taken with Mary and Joseph and baby Jesus, as well as with the angels, shepherds and wise men. It was a great evening!

Nelson Mandela photo and flag at half-mast next to the stage.
The band of the Cape Town Highlanders entertained the crowd early on.
Being Joseph on the stage!
King Herod on the stage.
Dance sequence during one of the final songs.
My nephews Rhyenn and Jesse came to say hello!
Candace-on-a-Toothpick also made an appearance! :-)

No comments: